Friday, October 12, 2012

Scrappy Fabric Circle Pins Tutorial

It's Freebie Friday!!! 
I wanted to share this Tutorial I made.....Scrappy Fabric Circle pins.
This is a great way to use up your sewing and quilting scraps! 

Make pins for every season...like Christmas! 
Plus you can make pins for any occasion or just for inspiration.  These would also make great magnets or ephemera for scrap booking pages.

You will need small scrap strips of muslin or tea-dyed muslin....alpha stamps (I got mine at Walmart...one dollar for a small set of all letters...look near scrap booking area).

This is a great permanent ink....says not for fabric...but I have tested this alot...no problems.  I got it at JoAnn Fabrics.

There are lots of letters out there...for this project use smallish letters, unless the word is small and simple...like "Boo".

Just ink up your letter stamps and stamp on muslin. 

Stamp lots of sayings for your pins at once....I like to assembly line these.

Here are some of my Halloween sayings and words.

I have circle shapes at the end of this tutorial....you could also use circles around your house....like spools, small bottles/containers, etc....  My largest circle is 2 1/2", Medium is 2" and small is 1 1/2".  I traced my circle shapes onto a manila folder to make a sturdy template.  Cut out a circle from each size.
Stack the circle from largest to small.
I like to see what each pin will look like before I sew it down.  Make sure your word or saying on muslin is cut down close to the stamped letters
Here is one sewn up.

Take your circles only and do some random stitching....I like to do star shapes.

After the circles are sewn together....add your word or saying.  Stitch on edge...around word.

Like this!

Here is another pin in the making...you can see my star shape, but going around in circles are good too. 
I added "Witchy Woman" to this design. 
Cut out a felt circle for back of pin...make sure it is smaller than largest circle.  Glue felt to back of pin and then glue a pinback on the top back. 
Like this! 
These are fun...so simple....so inexpensive, and they are addicting!
This would make a cool gift for our friends, fellow co-workers, and family. 
Let's not forget ...Thanksgiving!
These would be darling on a plate on the Thanksgiving table. 
I love the Christmas ones too...so sweet. 
I love "Scrooge".....and I know a few people who I may have to attach this to and run.

Life is good!  The bright fabric is so cheerful. I have bins of small scraps...that I can't throw away.
I smile at this pin! 
Sweet dreams!  I am going to make some for all the holidays and anytime in between.  You can use these to sell or whatever....its just a simple yet fun idea.

Here are the circles.  Have fun with these....and if you make some..let me see!!!


Come to the party.....Whipperberry's friday flair.

4 comments:

  1. Shirley, what a brilliant idea, I love it! Thanks so much for sharing your tutorial, I'm having a brain freeze about what to create next and hopefully your great pins will jump start my creativity. I have ton of pin backs I purchased years ago and never did anything with (sound familiar?!) so I know what to do with them now! Thanks again and have a great weekend! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Bee Craft Inspirations, under the Page 2 post on Oct. 13, 2012. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank u so much. Love these and can'i wait 2 start making some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shirley, I'm going to try some of these with patriotic fabrics. Would it be okay if I shared this tutorial on my quilt guild's Facebook page? They are sooooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete