Thursday, March 29, 2012

Vintage planter pincushion tutorial

Isn't this a cute pin cushion?  Today I am going to teach you how simple it is to make a sweet pin cushion from a thrift store or antique store find. 

This is my little chick planter I got at an antique store....it was super cheap...$1.50.  These planters are often at thrift stores....for a dollar or two.
Vintage circus elephant ceramic planter
Here is a super cute elephant planter on Etsy....from lostlakevintage.  This would be a great one to use for someone who collects Elephants!!  What a fabulous gift.
Vintage Girl Planter 1/2 price
This sweet planter on this Etsy site  ...only $4.00
Vintage Ceramic Patchwork Dog Planter
Here is a sweet patchwork Dog...so adorable.....and who doesn't like dogs!

The planter I am using has a smallish area to plant a plant....too small in my opinion...lol.
To start....all you need is a 7 inch circle...you could use a plate as a template.  Cut out your circle from cool fabric...I had fun looking at my fabric to see which choice to make.
Using strong thread....stitch a gathering stitch all the way around the circle about 1/4" away from the edge.  Pull up the gathering stitch and stuff the circle firmly with polyfil stuffing.

You don't have to gather it too tightly....just knot off.

Hot glue a circle of felt to cover the bottom.

Fill inside planter with fabric scraps if the inside goes pretty deep....then insert gathered fabric circle on top.  Glue in place.

I used pretty yarn to go around the planter edge...you could also use lace, ribbon, or buttons....just hot glue in place.

I had little chips on my planter...I decided to glitter the chips up.  This paper glaze is nice to use for glittering...but any clear tacky glue or white glue will work.

I glittered up his beak and used pink glitter on his cheeks....why not huh?

I hot glued buttons to his eyes and found a pink ribbon laying around.

Here I added the ribbon,  threaded on a spool of thread to the side and also added all kinds of pins.  I even  added buttons by sticking a corsage pin through buttons and then stuck the pin in the pin cushion. 

This is so cute and simple.  You could also add more embellishments....like fabric yo-yos, old jewelry pieces, felt or ribbon flowers, and buttons.  These would make great craft show sellers, gifts, and is a great way to reuse an object that gets no attention anymore. 
This was so fun to do....I felt like I was playing...very fast too.
Have fun finding a planter to re-do!!

come join the party at Whipperberry

2 comments:

  1. That is one cute chick and you could hang a ribbon around the neck to hold the spool of thread this is darling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok I'm really groving this one. LOL Get it antique..... groving. LOL I'm so funny on Fridays. I will be looking for these the next time I'm at Goodwill. Thanks for sharing constantly with us, I look at your blog daily.
    Hugs,
    Vicki R
    sunraesban@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete